- type a word in either Kirundi, English or French language.
Click for a quick, for a thourough and more detailed search
- Kirundi nouns are shown with their class and plural prefix:
akamāri (utu-) 7 class 7
plural: utu-,udu- ▶ dice
click on the class number for details
- Kirundi verbs shown with past stem:
▶ to fertilize
click on any Kirundi verb to conjugate it in any of 25 Kirundi tenses
- click on to hear the pronunciation by a native speaker. Click on to record and contribute an audio pronunciation file
- search by plural (e.g. ivyāmba) to find the singular
icāmba (ivy-) 4 class 4
plural: ibi-,ivy- ▶ bait
- click on
to see meanings, examples, phonetics, origins, synonyms, antonyms etc.
- Click on the icon to open the menu offering many additional functions
- Distinguish Kirundi vowels with long or high tones:
guhana (-hannye) vs. guhāna (-hanye)
- analyze any conjugated form (e.g. mukababwira), no matter the class, subject, tense or object and find the correct verb
- search verbs by past stem (e.g. ānditse)
to find the infinitive:
kwāndika (-ānditse) ▶ to write
- Choose which translation direction or results you want to see:
- Read and listen to imigani (tales), ibisokozo (children's riddles), Kirundi jokes, over 500 proverbs, contemporary and traditional music with their lyrics, Kirundi radio stations or any passage from the New Testament. All with native Kirundi speakers.
- Study Kirundi with over 200 lessons, covering essentiel vocabulary, grammar and exercises; and download the study books and dictionaries as printable PDF files.
- search for over 7.700 Kirundi terms with more than 10.400 audio recordings and over 11.300 terms in English and French.
- find the geolocation (map view) and altitude for 6.900 places in Burundi
This unique dictionary by Betty Cox is known for the deep cultural insight it provides to many Kirundi terms. It has been thouroughly revised, adapted to present-day Kirundi orthography rules and many new words and meanings have been added.
Kirundi Dictionary (original)
Kirundi Dictionary (alphabetical)
In the original version the entries are sorted by the word stem, this is helpful to learn new vocabulary by recognizing the relationship to already known words of the same stem. But users without any knowledge of basic Kirundi grammar may have difficulties to find a word. Therefore we included here also the same dictionary with all vocabulary in simple alphabetical order.
The Kirundi self study course guides you through 125 lessons and makes you learn both the necessary vocabulary and basic grammar.
The second volume with over 80 lessons delves deeply into Kirundi grammar. After completion of this 2-volume course you will have a thorough command of the Kirundi language.
Book I, Kirundi Lesson book
Book II, Kirundi Grammar book
- Check out this excellent website with lots of ressources and infos: www.ikirundi.org
Train your listening skills and follow Kirundi native speakers!
Original dictionary and language course by Elizabeth Ellen Cox, 1969; Marston Memorial Historical Center
Revised & augmented 2005 - 2024
by M.Philipps, Bujumbura Christian University, Burundi
& the user community of this App
English pronunciation by
English-English dictionary provided by the Free Dictionary API (www.dictionaryapi.dev)
Bible translations: World English Bible (WEB), Louis Segond 1910, Bibiliya Yera (Kinyarwanda)
Kirundi voice recordings done by Bienvenu Ndayishimiye, Miki Dieu-Merci, Christophe Kivunge, Mpundu Aimé Nécessaire and Elsa-Myntha Kezakimana.
Special Thanks to my Kirundi teachers Martin Rudasingwa and Innocent "Ruseka" Niyonsaba.
Development and maintenance of this app is not free. Thank you for considering a small help to keep us going.
The following organizations made this App possible
Information Collection and Use
The app does use third party services that may collect information used to identify you.
I may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate our Service;
- To provide the Service on our behalf;
- To perform Service-related services; or
- To assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
Links to Other Sites