try deep search for more results...
- type a word in either Kirundi, English or French language.
Click for a quick, for a thourough and more detailed search
- Kirundi nouns shown with class & plural:
igishusho (ibi-) 4 ▶ picture
- Kirundi verbs shown with past stem:
▶ to be done
click on a kirundi verb to conjugate it
- click on to hear the pronunciation by a native speaker. Click on to record and contribute an audio pronunciation file
- search by plural (e.g. imikubi) to find the singular
umukubi (imi-) 2 ▶ bean leaves
- analyze any conjugated form (e.g. mukababwira), no matter the class, subject, tense or object and find the correct verb
- search verbs by past stem: -kozeko
findgukorako (-zeko) ▶ to touch
- Choose which translation direction or results you want to see:
- Kirundi vowels with long or high tones:
intore (in-) versus intōre (in-)
- search for over 7.600 Kirundi terms and over 10.800 terms in English and French.
This unique dictionary by Betty Cox is known for the deep cultural insight it provides to many Kirundi terms. It has been thouroughly revised, adapted to present-day Kirundi orthography rules and hundreds of new words or meanings have been added.
Kirundi Dictionary (original)
Kirundi Dictionary (alphabetical)
In the original version the entries are sorted by the word stem, this is helpful to learn new vocabulary by recognizing the relationship to already known words of the same stem. But users without any knowledge of basic Kirundi grammar may have difficulties to find a word. Therefore we included here also the same dictionary with all vocabulary in simple alphabetical order.
The Kirundi self study course guides you through 125 lessons and makes you learn both the necessary vocabulary and grammar.
The second volume with over 80 lessons delves deeply into Kirundi grammar. After completion of this 2-volume course you will have a thorough command of the Kirundi language.
Book I, Kirundi Lesson book
Book II, Kirundi Grammar book
- Check out this excellent website with lots of ressources and infos: www.ikirundi.org
Train your listening skills and follow Kirundi native speakers!
Original dictionary and language course by Elizabeth Ellen Cox, 1969; Marston Memorial Historical Center
Revised & augmented 2005 - 2022
by M.Philipps, Bujumbura Christian University, Burundi
& the user community of this App
English pronunciation by
Special Thanks to Martin Rudasingwa and Innocent "Ruseka" Niyonsaba. Kirundi voice recordings done by Miki Dieu-Merci, Bienvenu Ndayishimiye, Christophe Kivunge, Thank You!
You want to support this project? Please donate to one of the following organizations, Thank You!
Information Collection and Use
The app does use third party services that may collect information used to identify you.
I may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate our Service;
- To provide the Service on our behalf;
- To perform Service-related services; or
- To assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
Links to Other Sites